Wednesday, December 25, 2013

My Conversion to Islam Accepted By My Father – Nollywood Actress, Metchie Vivian

Vivian Metchie, a Nollywood actress, who stepped aside for a while from limelight after a cracked marriage to Wale Adesina is back on stage with new faith.
 
She recently announced her new faith adopted according to an exclusive talks granted, said she is now Muslim having found the Christian faith confusing.
 
On her conversation with Yes International Magazine, Ms Metchie (now Fareedah) said her conversion was a personal decision she had to take.
 
According to her: “Yeah it is personal. I understand the Koran more than the bible. All of a sudden, the Christian confusion was driving me nuts. My dad was catholic, my mum was Deeper Life, I married someone in the Redeemed Church and then all of a sudden, the few religions had something bad to say about each other. I just couldn’t take it anymore. A friend of mine who is close to me said that once you are grounded on the word, it won't be confusing. Unfortunately, maybe I wasn’t grounded in the word, but I still could see what I see. But in my quest and study and research, I don’t know: I was probably looking for peace. Yeah! That was what I was looking for and I found it in the Koran”.

Fareedah in 'Majele Ife'
Fareedah, mother of 4 said she was enjoined with respect by her father on her new faith decision and has even stopped calling her by her native name and now calls her Fareedah.  

Excerpts:
 
So, how is life as a Muslim?
Fantastic!

How did your people take it when you told them you wanted to convert to Islam?
Which my people?
 
Your parents, your husband and so on?
My father hardly faults my decisions. As a matter of fact, my father, the minute I told him, he said okay; are you sure it makes you happy? I said yes and he said okay. And he stopped calling me my native name. He started calling me Fareedah.
 
Is that your Islamic name?
Yes! Fareedah.
 
What does Fareedah mean?
It means something that is unique, something that is one of its kind; it’s the name of Allah. Allah is Fareed; Al-Fareed. Allah is just one. So, Fareeda is one. There’s only one God.
 
We also understand that your marriage has collapsed. Is that true?
We are separated.
 
What happened; what led to the separation?
I don’t know! Communication broke down, I married early, plenty of immaturity.  We just drifted apart.
 
Is there any likelihood of both of you reconciling?
Well, I’m not God, I don’t know.
 
But you have four kids, who has the custody of the kids?
They are with me.
 
So, how are you coping with four children all alone?
He does his bit. I mean, it’s just convenient to have the kids with me. If he wants them, he can have them. We teach our children with plenty of love, so it doesn’t matter where they are. They know that mummy loves them, daddy loves them.
 
How is life as a single parent?
Ah! It’s not easy o! It’s not easy because what you normally do as a single girl, you have to think twice or three times before doing them as a mother of children who are looking up to you. So, it’s not easy.

No comments: