Sunday, January 19, 2014

My Mum Never Believed In Me – Omosexy

On how she earned the sobriquet, Omosexy, Nollywood diva, Omotola Jalade-Ekehinde, has opened up and revealed that her husband created it especially for her as pet name.
 
This was disclosed on CNN’s African Voices earlier in the week in an exclusive 30-minute chat with CNN’s Vladimir Duthiers that x-rayed her entire career.
 
“My husband gave me Omosexy; it’s my hubby’s pet name for me,” Omotola crooned on African Voices as she fielded questions from CNN’s Vladimir Duthiers.
 
On whether she would want to relocate to Hollywood, the world’s movie capital to pursue her dreams, the mother of four kids said: “Absolutely yes. Hollywood is the pinnacle of our careers and I really want to but I feel I’m more needed in Nollywood; I’m more needed in Africa.

We are growing something new in Africa. Nollywood is just 20 years old and we are the third largest in the world. Maybe our films could be better but we have the spirit and will power. We are saying we want to meet with you (Hollywood); we want to collaborate with you.  We want to collaborate rather than throw what we have away.
 
We have 150 million people in Nigeria alone. Develop us, work with us, invest in us and you’ll be glad you did. Africa is the new market, the new destination, if you didn’t know before, now you do.”
 
On her making Time 100 she said: “It’s amazing, very wonderful. It’s a very special thing for Time magazine to have seen what I have done. I wasn’t in the artiste category but in the icon category and that really meant a lot to me.”
 
Omotola also spoke about her late parents revealing that while her dad believed in her talent, her mum never believed in her. According to the actress, she was a rebel and her mum couldn’t tame her so she thought she would never amount to anything significant.

No comments: