Thursday, August 28, 2014

My Way to Everton – Samuel Eto’o

On a fast track deal struck by Everton’s latest recruit Samuel Eto’o, the international soccer star said boss Roberto Martinez was a key factor to his decision to join the club. The striker joined Everton as a free agent after a strong signal of his deal lapse with Chelsea. The 33-year-old is excited by the prospect of working alongside Martinez.


He said: “During my meetings with Roberto Martinez I had a very good feeling. We had so much in common. “Everton correspond with my philosophy on football and how the game is. 

“In the last 10 days I have travelled quite a lot and spoken to quite a few managers. “Over the course of those travels the person who I felt the most inspiring and would allow my contribution to best correspond was Roberto Martinez.”

Everton host Chelsea on Saturday and Eto’o could be in line to make his debut against his former club. Martinez will assess the player’s fitness before making a decision on whether Eto’o will feature against Chelsea, but he indicated the Cameroonian could well be involved.

Martinez said: “We had a conversation. Being realistic I would have loved him to have 10-11 sessions before putting him in a competitive environment but I very quickly learned I was wasting my time.

“He wants to be helpful to the team straight away, he wants to be involved. “It will come down to what sort of condition he has over the next two or three days.”

No comments: